The MOBO Awards will take a break in 2018, as organisers plan to reshape the ceremony ahead of its return next year.
The ceremony, which began in 1996, has become a major force in championing urban music – with Craig David and Stormzy emerging triumphant last year. Check out the full list of MOBO 2017 winners here.
Now, for this year, founder Kanya King says that the ceremony will be retired for 2018, before returning “bigger and bolder”.
“We understand that the MOBO Awards will be missed this year, but we will be back in 2019, bigger and bolder”, King said.
“The evolution of the MOBO Awards is always at the forefront of our mind and we want to ensure that we continue to build on the strong foundation of the brand and its heritage for a wider purpose and bigger impact. We will bring the platform to brand new heights and most importantly, continue to amplify the exposure of the large pool of exceptional talent celebrated by MOBO. In this respect we are very pleased to be teaming up with Ogilvy UK.”
An official statement added: “The evolution of the MOBO Awards is always at the forefront of our mind and we want to ensure that we continue to build on the strong foundation of the brand and its heritage for a wider purpose and bigger impact.”
Instead of this year’s awards, MOBO organizers have planned to celebrate leading talented figures in the creative industry with a very special event at the British Library next month.
MOBO is also starting a film production company alongside screenings of films – with The Hate U Give set to be the first release later this year.
If you’d like to stay on top of the news coming from MOBO, check out their twitter @MOBOAwards and give them a follow.
- Kanye West Apologises For Being Caught On Phone During The Cher Show - December 6, 2018
- Beastie Boys: Live And Direct @ EartH Hackney - December 3, 2018
- Robbie Williams In Line For Massive Set at British Summer Time Festival - December 3, 2018